- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or caramel or almond extract)
- 1/2 large banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat an 8×8 inch square pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine the milk, applesauce, egg, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla (or caramel or almond extract).
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir to combine . The batter will be very wet. Fold in banana, then pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until thickened and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool, cut into bars, and serve.
Note: Once cooled, bars can be wrapped individually in plastic and kept in the refrigerator for 5 days or frozen in a zip-top bag for up to 4 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours before serving. For a larger yield, increase the ingredient quantities by 1.5 and bakes in a 9×13 inch pan for 25-30 minutes.
Makes about 8 bars.