Serve with mashed potatoes and roasted beetroot. Classic Polish/ European food at its best!
Makes 8 pieces
- 1 small bun or bread roll (preferably several days old for dryness)
- milk or water to soak the bun
- 1/2 kg minced pork (or substitute ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt + 1/2 teaspoon of black ground pepper
- about 1/4 cup of cold water
- breadcrumbs for coating
- oil for frying (olive oil or coconut oil)
- Soak the in milk for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add the minced meat to a large bowl, along with the onion, egg, salt and pepper, and moistened roll; mix everything well.
- Add a little cold water and knead the meat til it absorbs the water and does not stick to your hand. The longer you knead it, the better the cutlets. The meat mass may seem quite loose, however this yields more delicate, less dense cutlets.
- Shape the cutlets, coat in breadcrumbs and put on well-heated oil in a pan. After frying on two sides, place the cutlets in a pot or casserole dish (without cover) and put in a preheated 150 degrees C oven for about 15 minutes . This step results in cutlets that will be perfectly soft inside, as opposed to if you fry them til cooked through.