Delicious when served cold!
Made this today – February 15, 2015. Chris really enjoyed. Make again for him. Update: While I was somewhat indifferent to this recipe when I first made it, I ate some of the cold chicken out of the fridge last night and I found that this seasoning is really, really good on cold chicken. I happen to love cold chicken, so this recipe now gets my approval as well. It was as good as Chicken from the grocery store deli – only without all the salt, additives and preservatives. This will be especially good to have on hand when I’m following my healthy eating/weight loss program. The recipe was originally called Citrus Herb Chicken, but the taste of citrus is really so subtle so that name doesn’t do it for me. I’m renaming this Home Made Deli Chicken Seasoning.
- 6 chicken pieces
- 3 Tablespoons lemon, lime or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- salt (I don’t add salt)
- McCormick’s Lemon Herb* (optional – can add this on occasion if you make this frequently and want to vary the flavor)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly salt and pepper the top.
- Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Combine oregano, chili powder, garlic salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle and rub seasoning mixture over chicken, turning the pieces to coat evenly. (Lightly sprinkle a bit of Lemon Herb seasoning over everything. *optional)
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes in oven ( until the chicken is tender and juices run clear ) or delicious cooked on the grill.
- Spoon the extra pan juices over the chicken before serving.