So continuing on my quest for tasty cooked kale recipes, this one is even better than the last one ( Sauteed Kale with Mushrooms and Balsamic Vinegar). At least in my opinion – we’ll see what hubby thinks… but with that splash of Marsala wine in there, I’m pretty sure he’s gonna like it!. In fact, this one is downright fantastic. This could totally pass as a side dish in a high brow restaurant.
By using a little bit of vegetable broth rather than oil for sauteing, you get not only get a nice little bit of added flavor, you eliminate tons of fat a calories which oil (even healthy oil) unnecessarily adds. I honestly prefer that my veggies not feel all slimy with oil, so vegetable broth is a huge winner when sauteing in my book. If the kale hasn’t reached the desired level of tenderness when all the broth has evaporated, just add a splash or two more of the broth.
I’d love it if you would leave a comment and let me know what you think!
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped (or 4 tsp chopped garlic from a jar)
- 6-8 medium large sliced mushrooms, sliced thin (or use more mushrooms if preferred)
- 1 small- medium bunch kale, stems removed and torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine or sherry
- Saute garlic and mushrooms on medium-high heat in a stir fry pan (using a splash of vegetable stock in place of oil).
- Turn down heat to medium, add the kale and toss to combine. Cover and continue cooking to “wilt” the kale. (Cook til kale is soft and tender.)
- Stir, then push the kale to the side of the pan and add the Marsala. Turn up the heat to quickly bring to a brief boil, stirring constantly to dislodge any bits of garlic or mushrooms stuck to the bottom of the pan. (If you want to get fancy, this is known as “deglazing” the pan).
- Immediately after wine has started to boil, turn heat back down to medium-low and toss the kale with the Marsala in the pan, and simmer covered for about 2 minutes so the kale and mushrooms absorb the flavor from the Marsala.
Recipe and Photo Copyright 2015 by CookingToBeClever.com
Please leave a comment below with your thoughts!