1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon wine vinegar (Or substitite balsamic)
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 bunch kale leaves, torn (ribs removed and discarded)
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion, mushrooms, and garlic in hot oil until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add butter and vinegar to the mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper. Toss mushroom mixture in the wok until the butter melts and coats everything, about 1 minute.
- Switch heat off and add kale to the wok; cook and stir in the hot wok until the kale is bright green, about 5 minutes. Season kale mixture with nutmeg and stir.
- Cook’s Note:
- For a more saucy mixture add 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock.
- If you don’t have shiitake mushrooms you can substitute any type of mushroom.
- A nice addition to this dish is pine nuts; add them when you first start so they roast a little.