This recipe is based on one from the Dave Nichol Cookbook, which I modified and adapted. His recipe is vegetarian so if a heartier non-vegetarian soup is what I’m craving, I also add about 1lb of ground beef. I’ve also included, further below, the copycat recipe of Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli soup, but I prefer the first recipe for its fewer ingredients – it still results in a great Fagioli. One tipe – I like to use pizza sauce instead of, or in addition to, the pasta sauce. It usually provides a really great additional punch of flavor that really takes the recipe to a while new level of goodness! I’ve made it without doing this, and it is no were near as good!
1 tbsp chopped garlic in oil (from a jar)
2 c chopped onion
2 c chopped (or shredded) carrot
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped red pepper (I omit due to allergy)
2-3 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil or 1/4 c fresh, chopped
sea salt and pepper to Taste
1 28 oz can diced italian style tomatos
1 – 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice (adds a bit of zing to the flavor 🙂
4 c chicken broth, boiling
1.5 c macaroni or other small pasta
1 160Z CAN RED kidney beans, drained
1 160Z CAN white kidney beans, drained
OPTIONAL: for added thickness, add 20 oz of pasta sauce
shaved parmsean cheese
Heat oil o er medium heat. Sautee all vegetables til onions are translucent. STIR IN seasonings. Add tomatoes with the liquid and chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add pasta, cook 15 minutes, stirring often. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking if required. Add beans and stir. Place in bowls and top with the cheese as garnish.
OLive Garden Pasta Fagioli by Tom wilbur (Top Secret Recipes)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup julienned carrot
- 3 stalks celery or 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (with liquid)
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans (with liquid)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 lb ditali pasta
- Brown beef in a large stock pot over medium heat-drain off fat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
- After 50 minutes boil pasta to al dente.
- Drain well.
- Add pasta to the large pot of soup and simmer for 10 minutes.